Founded in 1690 by Robert Aske the original Haberdashers’ Aske’s school was for boys. The original alms-houses and school buildings in Hoxton were demolished two centuries later. The Aske’s Foundation set up new brother and sister schools and the Haberdashers’ Aske’s Hoxton Girls’ School was opened in June 1875. On 1 November 1898, the Girls’ School opened in Acton with 47 children from the Hoxton School and 12 new girls. Under the 1944 Education Act the school became a Direct Grant school and then in 1976 with the Boys’ School, it became independent. After many years at Acton, the Haberdashers’ Company decided to move the School out of London and a decision was made to move it to Elstree, Borehamwood. Located here since 1974, the School has grown considerably in size and a substantial building programme has been undertaken over the past decade.
Haberdashers’ Aske’s School for Girls is one of the eleven schools of the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers.